I’m Megan Pinckney… a 20-something travel writer, lifestyle blogger, model, and retired beauty queen! I’m a lover of the arts, dinner parties, and every single Mariah Carey song. I currently serve on the Board of Directors for The Township Auditorium and the Columbia City Ballet. When I’m not traveling the world, you can catch me cheering on my beloved Gamecocks at Williams-Brice.
I’m sure most bloggers near and far are acquainted with this young lady and I was eager to see what she had to say for our Q&A session so let’s jump right in!
- What convinced you to begin blogging?
Funny story, I actually began blogging during a snowstorm back in January of 2014. I had been following a few blogs for a while and several friends had been encouraging me to create my own, but it wasn’t until I caught cabin fever in my apartment that I took the leap and created one!
- How did you come up with your blog’s name?
The original name of my blog was “Leopard print & Lemonade” which represented my love for fashion and the belief that leopard print is a neutral, my love for food, and the fact that it would all be told from the perspective of a girl raised in the South. But a year and a half in I decided to rebrand and redesign my blog. At that point I became “Shades of Pinck” and my blog focused on a giving lifestyle suggestions in the areas (or shades) of fashion, travel, food/restaurants, and voicing my opinions and views on current events.
- What are your top three (3) tools that you use with your blog and why?
- Instagram, because almost everyone that reads my blog follows my profile so that allows them to see me almost daily.
- Co-schedule, because it keeps me organized with all content, allows to me to edit all posts and determine when they go live, and it sends blasts across all of my social media platforms on both current and old posts.
- Google Analytics, because it gives me the statistics brands want to know before they collaborate and allows me to become more familiar with my readers and their demographics.
- Outside of blogging, what other interest do you have?
To be able to blog about travel, you have to travel! So I’m constantly discovering new cities and countries. This year I have a few really big trips in the works so I can’t wait to create content for those experiences. I also have a true appreciation for the arts and I try my best to frequent art shows, museum exhibits, the ballet, movie screenings, and any and everything that has to do with fashion—as often as I can. As a graduate of USC, and still a resident of Columbia, there would be something amiss about my interests if I didn’t mention my love Gamecock football on Saturdays in the fall.
- With being a blogger, what has been your biggest challenge thus far?
I think the biggest challenge is connecting yourself with brands that you want to collaborate with. To help me and my blog I attended a networking workshop, The Southern C Summit, which gave me the tools to do so while actually connecting me with one of my DREAM brands!
- What advice can you offer to beginning bloggers or people who are hesitant on starting their blog?
Just do it! There’s never a “right” time and you’ll learn as you go. There are countless bloggers these days because that is where consumers are turning for advice. Brands recognize that and are acting accordingly. You’d be surprise who could become interested in you just because you share a few posts regularly.
- Which social media platform works best for your blog and why?
Without a doubt, Instagram. People who read blogs are naturally visual people; therefore they react best to a social media platform that is visually based. Instagram also allows my readers to see me more often, more intimately, and less scripted.
I can’t imagine where I would be without the advice given to me in the very beginning of this journey from Megan! She is such a grand & beautiful spirit in addition to being one of the most fashionable women I know. Be sure to check out her site. All of your fashion and travel desires will come true. It’s linked above.